On Friday, the Centre announced a list of 31 lateral entry appointments through Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) as joint secretaries, directors, and deputy secretaries in several central ministries and departments. UPSC said that the candidates who are selected include three joint secretaries, 19 directors, and nine deputy secretaries.
- Joint secretaries would be drafted in the finance ministry, commerce and industry ministry, and agriculture and farmers welfare ministry.
- The directors have been chosen for commerce and industry ministry, agriculture and farmers welfare ministry, finance ministry, law and justice ministry, consumer affairs ministry, food and public distribution ministry, education ministry, jal shakti ministry, health and family welfare ministry, road transport and highways ministry, civil aviation ministry and skill development and entrepreneurship ministry.
- The remaining nine secretaries will fill the positions in the education ministry, environment, forests, and climate change ministry, statistics and programme implementation ministry, steel ministry, corporate affairs ministry, mines ministry, ports shipping and waterways ministry, heavy industries, and public enterprises ministry and housing and urban affairs ministry.
The applications for the joint secretary and director-level posts were invited by UPSC on February 6, 2021, and for deputy secretary-level posts on March 20, 2021.
Total number of applications received
- Joint secretary-level posts - Around 295 applications
- Director-level posts - 1,247 applications
- Deputy secretary-level posts - 489 applications
Out of these, 231 candidates were selected and interviews from September 27 to October 8. The Commission then recommended 31 candidates to the Centre.
Speaking about the same, Minister of State for Personnel Jitendra Singh tweeted, "As a major step to place the right talent for the right role, DoPT announces 31 lateral entry recruitments, after due selection process by UPSC, as Joint Secretary/Director/Deputy Secretary in different ministries/departments of the government of India."